Adopting a baby is an exciting way to add to your family, but the private infant adoption process can seem overwhelming at first.We can work with you through each step of the process, including:
- Completing the adoption home study: Before adopting a baby in Georgia, hopeful parents must be approved to adopt with an adoption home study. If you have not already completed the home study process, we can advise you about legal home study requirements and refer you to a trusted home study provider.
- Finding an adoption opportunity: If you have not already found a prospective birth mother to adopt from, we can advise you on preparing a profile and spreading the word of your adoption while staying in compliance with state adoption advertising laws. If you would like to use an agency’s matching services, we can also refer you to a licensed child-placing agency to complete the matching process.
- Receiving the adoption placement: When the baby is born, you will likely have an opportunity to meet him or her in the hospital. We can advise you on your rights and role during the birth mother’s hospital stay. We will also work with the expectant mother and her attorney to obtain her legal consent to the adoption.
- Finalizing the adoption: Following placement, we will provide all of the legal services you need to safely finalize the adoption, including: terminating the parental rights of an unknown or uninvolved birth father, providing legal representation in the case of a contested adoption, ensuring compliance with all state and federal adoption laws, filing the adoption petition with the court and following Georgia finalization procedures.
- Negotiating a post-placement contact agreement: Today’s adoptions rarely end with finalization. Instead, you will likely stay in touch with your child’s birth parents for years to come through an open or semi-open adoption. We can work with you, the birth mother and her attorney to draft and negotiate a post-adoption contact agreement, which will outline a plan for future contact with your baby’s birth family.
Whether you are interested in adopting an infant in Metro Atlanta or anywhere else in Georgia, we can provide the local legal expertise you need to safely complete the private child adoption process. In addition, we can refer you to other top adoption professionals for any additional assistance you may need to adopt a baby.
To learn more about how to adopt a baby in Georgia or to discuss our newborn adoption services, please contact us at 678-324-8511 or click here to schedule a consultation.